Kingston Stockade 2 Boston City FC 3
Sun, Jun 5, 2016 8:32 pm

Boston City FC twice came back from being a goal down and shook off the distraction of a 59-minute lightning delay to steal a dramatic 3-2 victory away to Kingston Stockade.

Michael Bustamante capped an impressive performance in midfield with a solo goal in the final minute of regulation time to grab all three points after a Yaw Addow bullet header had equalized 12 minutes earlier.

“It’s huge and I think it shows that the group of guys we have never give up,” said BCFC captain Ronaldo Vieira. “We’ve come off the back of a couple of bad results and today have twice come back from a goal down. That says a lot about this team.

The 31 minutes played after the lengthy delay due to a turbulent lightning storm produced plenty of drama.

Nine minutes into the restart Corey Phillips latched onto a rare Gabriel Da Souza error, an attempted clearance looping high in the wrong direction, and despite appearing to lean into Vilbrun St Louis, Phillips lobbed stranded keeper Vitor Scariot for the 2-1 lead.

Scariot made a crucial save with his legs to deny Dylan Williams at the end of a swift Stockade counter attack before Boston City coach Palhinha was sent off for the second time this season. The former Brazil international had barely vacated the touchline when substitute Yaw Addow rose high at the far post to power home a header for the equalizer on the end of a Jhonata Batista cross in the 77th minute.

Eight minutes from time Williams should have done better with a free header he directed wide when unmarked at the far post then at the other end, home keeper Stephen Skonieczny made a crucial save with his legs to keep out a Batista shot after a quick counter attack down the right through Bustamante.

The Colombian-born midfielder stole the show when he cut in from the right and unleashed an unstoppable finish to win the match.

“I’ve noticed for the past two or three games he has stepped up and wants the ball and he’s the type of player who when on form makes a huge difference to the team,” said Vieira of the match-winner.

The Stockade had originally taken the lead against the run of play with an element of good fortune playing a part in the goal that came after the quarter hour mark. A flicked header as the visitors defended a free kick struck the inside of both posts and defender Guilherme Desousa’s clearance cannoned off the advancing Matt Daum into the net.

Ten minutes later, the Lions’ probing from midfield, led by Bustamante’s industry, created the equalizer. His shot was deflected by a Stockade defender and debut striker Samuel Batista followed up to blast the ball into an empty net. Jhonata Batista almost grabbed the lead before halftime, but his finish rolled across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

Torrential rain arrived at halftime and then with 59’29 on the clock, the threat of lightning materialized and the teams were sent to the locker rooms for a mandatory safety delay.

Proud Sponsors of Boston City Football Club