Late Show Earns Three Points Away To Mariners
Michael Preston | Wed, Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Boston City grabbed two dramatic goals inside the final four minutes to bounce back from conceding a late equalizer and seal three points in a 3-1 victory away to Seacoast United Mariners.

The win sets up a mouthwatering clash away to Hartford City on Sunday with both clubs chasing division leaders Kingston Stockade with three playoff places on the line and rivals Rhode Island Reds in the mix.

Isaac Nana Addai’s tenth goal of the season, his fourth from the penalty spot, after 28 minutes looked certain to separate the teams until a defensive error rocked Boston City 11 minutes from time.  Ralph Angrand, who had deputized admirably at center half for the injured Paulo Henrique, was caught on the ball wide on the right and in a moment of hesitation was robbed by Endy Chinchilla.  He played pass across goal for substitute Jackson Fotter to slot home the equalizer with keeper Vitor Scariot exposed.

The Lions had again failed to turn possession into goals and looked to be heading for a draw that would have dented their postseason aspirations until Homero Morais and Michael Rincon struck late on in the 87th and 93rd minutes to steal the points.

“We won, but we’re not good enough right now,” said coach Palhinha afterwards.  “We’re not playing as a good team.  I’m pleased with the points, but that’s all.”

Boston City looked a shadow of the team that hammered the Mariners 6-1 at home, as they dictated much of the first half but only had Addai’s penalty to show as reward.  He sent the keeper the wrong way after Filipe Dutra had been pushed inside the 18-yard box.

Seacoast would have led after 12 minutes but for Scariot producing a fine save to palm away a shot from Carlos Lopez, who had been played in by Thomas Urquhart.

The Lions appeared to be coasting at 1-0, though their lead looked tenuous and attempts to put the game beyond doubt were unconvincing as Dutra saw three headers fail to trouble keeper Blake Mullen and free kicks fired in from distance proved ineffective.

The Lions looked shocked to have conceded a late equalizer, but poured forward to salvage the win.  Addai saw a free kick clear the cross bar and had a low shot well saved before he turned provider for the go-ahead goal.

The reigning NPSL Golden Boot and Golden Ball holder fed Morais, who fought off two defenders to muster a shot that found the net off the inside of the far post.  The relief was clear in the celebration that followed as all players raced to the Boston City bench.

With literally the last kick of the contest, Rincon fired a shot in from the right and although Morais arrived at the far post to apply a finish, the ball had already crossed the line for the Lions’ third goal and Rincon’s second of the season.

Proud Sponsors of Boston City Football Club