Boston City FC II fired five first half goals in a convincing 7-0 win away to EMFC to help their climb towards the promotion places in the Bay State Soccer League D3 North.

Next Saturday, Boston City FC II travels to BRFC Druids, a team they beat 2-0 in the BSSL Cup earlier this year. Then on Sunday, September 23, the Lions take on UPSL club Juve Pro Soccer in the first qualifying round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Brother Gilbert Stadium in Malden, kickoff 6pm.

The Lions included four players with National Premier Soccer League experience in their starting line up with Gabriel De Souza and Jadson Leite marshaling the back line, Michael Rincon providing width on the right flank and Jhonata Batista returning up front after a year’s absence.

Rincon’s raids from the wing proved decisive as he scored twice, and the hosts put through their own goal twice before halftime.

An unfortunate header gifted Boston City II the lead after only two minutes as William Balanta’s cross was turned into the net. Balanta enjoyed a composed debut in the heart of midfield with some decisive passing as the Lions controlled possession.

It was 2-0 only ten minutes later as Rincon followed up to bury a rebound after Batista’s initial effort had been saved. Striker Batista, who scored four goals in as many games in the NPSL in 2017 before suffering a season-ending injury, should have increased the lead on the half-hour mark. He spun away from a challenge at midfield, raced clear and drew the keeper, but chipped his finish wide.

The third goal came courtesy of another own goal as substitute Vitor Athayde’s cross was deflected in after 33 minutes. Four minutes later, Rincon rifled his second goal into the top left corner from Wesad Al-Saadi’s cross.

Al-Saadi scored number five on the stroke of halftime, the forward who has represented Iraq at the national team level finishing off a neat exchange of passes with left back Matthew Callahan.

The EMFC keeper made a string of saves during the second half but was beaten when Jadson Leite headed a rebound into the net with 56 minutes played after Danny Apajee’s shot had been blocked. Apajee was again the provider to set up Batista for goal number seven after 62 minutes.